Monday, November 17, 2014

Saying Goodbye to a Good Friend

Quitting a High Stress Job and Moving to Ecuador has dropped my stress rate tremendously.  No more hectic work schedule with unappreciative bosses.  No more staff members trying to push you down to raise themselves up.  Just getting away from all those nasty triggers that drive my bad behavior has been great.

I'd rather live at poverty level than be rich, and almost dead.  I used to wash away the days of stress with 3 glasses of wine at night (as if). And that was in the car on the way home!  Ha. I didn't drink on the weekends because no stress.  I have reduced my drinking by 85% just because I am not so stressed since moving to Ecuador.  It's amazing how much we think we're addicted to all kinds of things,, and we are.   But it's the American lifestyle. 

I tried to cut down or quit drinking quite a few times because I no longer wanted it in my life and I got tired of drunk-texting and feeling like shit the next day.  But after a day at work with office politics, long endless meetings that resulted in more long endless meetings, coming home to a dirty house, unwashed dishes, no dinner prepared, a hungry husband, being the breadwinner and the fear of losing my job (which I hated), 5 dogs that made my living room look like Beirut ... yada, yada, yada .... and no wonder wine seemed like a good idea.

But now . . . as part of the health regime, it needs to go.  My type 2 diabetes numbers are so high I have to choose my liver or my wine.  It's not an easy choice.  But I have to increase my meds so much in order to get my sugar down that I can feel my liver crying 'uncle'.  Oh God, giving up wine?  It makes me wish for some stress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home